Suzette Martinez Standring, Speaker
Workshop and Webinar Presentations
Planners, choose a program topic!
The Art of Column Writing
All columnists and bloggers - lifestyle, opinion, humor, religion, politics, or niche - have this in common: to persuade and engage the reader. Discover how Pulitzer Prize and other award winning writers use facts, emotional resonance, and five-sensory zest to make their writing stand out. Enhance your craft with insights and strategies used by columnists with career longevity.
The Art of Opinion Writing
“I never thought of it that way.” A well-crafted opinion can change a reader’s mind. It can even transform society. Opinion writers have won the Pulitzer Prize and journalism’s highest awards by pioneering new frontiers with vivid storytelling, originality, and being very, very brave. Apply their hard-won strategies to make your own work memorable in a reader’s mind. The Art of Opinion Writing: Insider Secrets from Top Op-Ed Columnists is a Amazon Kindle bestseller, and won First Place in the 2015 New England Book Festival.
Write A Memory as a Gift…Or For Publication
Everyone has one good story – a childhood memory, a family incident, or maybe something the dog did. Write a 500-700 memory as a unique gift to loved ones that will be cherished for years. A well-written personal experience can lead to publication. Suzette Martinez Standring served as writing consultant for We Remember When, a successful, sold out memoir compilation written by the residents of the Fuller Village Senior Residences in Milton, MA.
Hypnotic Recall Creates Spellbinding Stories
Vivid stories create a hypnotic state for a reader who is brought into a scene, sharing the writer’s experience, and a relaxed mind is a most creative tool. In this workshop, a safe, hypnosis exercise will help writers mine a memory for five-sensory details. emotional resonance, and a universal lesson, all the winning components of memorable writing. Suzette Standring was certified in hypnotherapy in 1990, and uses meditation exercises to enhance her own writing process.
Lessons in Being Very, Very Brave
Learn the backstories, the early struggles, and surprises behind the success of famous opinion writers such as Ellen Goodman, Clarence Page, Connie Schultz, Cal Thomas, and others. A career of writing opinions can bring criticism, even death threats, yet what has sustained top opinion writers will inspire and refresh. One doesn’t have to be a writer to enjoy or to apply the lessons of being very, very brave.
How to Write Powerful Editorials
Editorials represent the voice of the newspaper and therefore, they are different from by-lined opinion columns. Learn the components of award winning editorials that can rally readers to community action. In times of disaster or tragedy, discover advantages smaller papers have over mega-media. Get inspired with the editorial mission and even the healing power of a newspaper’s voice for the community.
Speaking and Conference Presentations:
- GateHouse Media, More Content Now
- Grub Street, Inc. (Boston)
- The National Society of Newspaper Columnists
- The Erma Bombeck Writers Workshop
- The Scholastic Press Association
- Boston Private Industry Council
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Boston
- The New England Newspaper and Press Association
- Bath Path College Writers Day
- The Cape Cod Writers Association
- The Florida Writers Association
- The Will Rogers Writers Workshop
- Leading Age Conference
- The Forbes House Museum
- Boston University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Northeastern University
- DePaul University
- UMass Worcester, Graduate School of Nursing
- Massasoit Community College
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Curry College
- Quincy College
- “The Hive” at Brown University
- The Fuller Village Senior Residences (MA)
- Unquity House Senior Residences (MA)
- The Milton (MA) Public Library
- The Newton (MA) Public Library
- The Providence (RI) Public Library
- Buttonwood Books (Cohasset, MA)
- Eight Cousins Bookstore (Falmouth, MA)
- Milton Adult Education
- The Canton Catholic Women’s Club
- The Milton Woman’s Club
- Rotary Clubs